Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lazy Days of Summer

Since we returned from Colorado, we haven't done much. This is mostly because I have a nasty, lingering cough and I do not want to expose anyone else to it. Sunday was the worst day. I called Jim's parents in tears, and they came right over to watch Jack for the day while I slept. Since then I have felt a lot better.

Jim was still off work last week, and he did a number of things around the house while Jack and I played at home a lot. One afternoon I filled the pool in the backyard for Jack to play. He put his chair in the pool, along with his water cup and bucket. Funny. Jack then decided to fill the water pail and water all the plants and flowers in the yard. It was pretty sweet.

Last night at dinner I gave him a fork and a spoon. I usually just give him one or the other, depending on the meal. He decided that it would be a good idea to use both at once.
We had our first outing in a while this morning. We went to a children's concert at Tower Grove Park, and then played on the playground and in the fountain. Jack surprised me by sitting still for the entire concert (about an hour)! It was fun, but I didn't get any pictures because it was so crowded and I had Jack sit on my lap for most of it so he could see better. After another napless day, we have just been hanging out at home. Here are a couple pictures of my happy boy from this afternoon.

Jack has been saying some funny things lately. Here are a few that I can recall at the moment:
  • When Jack hugs me he says, "Oooohhh, Mommy!"
  • When I ask him what we should name the baby, his most recent answer is "Nana."
  • Lately after I tell him something, that he clearly has heard, he'll say "What, Mommy?" When I repeat myself he says, "Oh."
  • He loves to make "homeruns." It doesn't matter if he just hit the ball with a bat, or just threw it to someone. He will shout "Homerun!" and sometimes "Homerun baseball bat!" and then he runs around the room/yard/house, as if he is running the bases.
  • He loves to talk on the phone (or the remote control or the i-pod or anything else that resembles a phone). His favorite person to talk to these days is Grandma. He really just says, "uh-huh" and "yes" a lot. I guess that is what he hears when we are on the phone.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Lily has suggested that we name her baby brother "Sweet Rose" :)

Summer said...

I would love to have someone come over and water the plants in my yard - they have been quite neglected this summer!

I hope you are finally feeling better. Reid has had a nasty cough for a month now - some days are better than others. I feel really bad, because I originally had a cold and gave it to him, which turned into this cough. It's no fun being sick in the summer!

John said...

I think you should name the baby "Homerun baseball bat!"

Elizabeth said...

Love the comment about talking on pretend phones...drew does that all the time with the remote and his play phones and "calls" uncle michael and either says uh-huh, yeah, or says we're coming on the airplane to see him. funny stuff!