Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Latest Scare

Two nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night when I heard Jack's bedroom door open. He wasn't crying, and usually if he wakes up in the middle of the night he is upset. When I got up to see what he was doing, I found him holding his blanket and walking down the stairs. I caught up to him 4-5 stairs down and carried him back to his bed. It was pretty scary. I didn't think a 2 year old would be sleepwalking! Last night, I locked the gate at the top of the steps just in case it happened again. Sure enough, around 2:00 in the morning I heard Jack's door open again. I got to him before he even made it to the gate this time. He was definitely not awake. I just put him back in his bed and he went right to sleep. I think I will need to close the bathroom door, too, just in case he wanders there in his sleep. When I read about it in a parenting book this morning it said that there is not much you can do other than make your home safe so your child does not get hurt during his night wanderings. The book said the sleepwalking will go away on it's own eventually.

No comments: